Robert’s recent concerns about exam questions:
- Whether a question about ‘how Western Humanist thought has been used to either legitimise or challenge racism and colonialism’ would be read as inclusively or exclusively disjunctive.
- When a candidate thought a question on ‘the sustainability or otherwise of the claim to human exceptionalism’ was asking about environmental sustainability. (The results hung together better than one might expect.)
- What the people were thinking who answered a question about pre-Seventeenth Century philosophy by writing about Descartes.
- That ‘explain’ might somehow, possibly, conceivably be read as a synonym for ‘justify’.1
- Although I will grant that the question sounds more obviously like one of psychology or sociology than of religious studies. ↩